Monday 25 July 2011

Techniques on Tuesday.

Well my latest craft is Knitting... and I kinda suck at it. But hey its fun.

http://www.ravelry.com/

is a great website for knitters and crocheters to meet and there are lots of free (and not free) patterns.

I have made me a hat:

Which started at 64 stitches cast on, and I somehow ended up with 108.... I also had to learn when doing "stocking stitch" (knit a row, purl a row) which side to knit on, and which side to purl on, so got some kind of funny looking stripes unintentionally. I then decreased too quickly and ended up with a "tail" which I have tucked back inside the hat. Overall I do like it, but as soon as I get a little better at knitting I will make me a new one.... IF I stick with it, so far I find it very relaxing.

My next project is a pair of "gauntlets" or fingerless gloves. I sort of am using a pattern but as I dont really understand "guage" yet I am making it up as I go along. First I cast on 70 stitches, and then after knitting about an inch realised that it was going to end up very loose on my hand so I decreased (fairly evenly, I hope) to 50 ish stitches and I guess it will have a cuff... sadly I have to attempt to turn this into a pair so must attempt to repeat my "made up" pattern for the other hand. I also somehow screwed up my stocking stitch again and have ended up with a funny line in the middle there... thats going to irritate me. But its all learning and we must start somewhere!

Hoping to next try my hand at a toy.... EEK!

xx The Ramblings of Another Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment