Tuesday 12 July 2011

Bedrooms and dishwashers.

Been a big few days. I have had to make peace with the fact that we are going to remain in this house. This house that has been good but not quite perfect for almost 2 years. We have given up on a new "perfect" rental in favour of being able to save more towards a house of our very own.

So in honour of our new decision we decided we are going to make our house into our home, and to start off we bought a dishwasher (of course we asked our landlords if that was ok). Its been working two days now and its fantastic. I ADORE my new dishwasher. ADORE IT!


Next my dearest Hubby Fisherman has decided to make over the kitchen. Being the hub of any home, ours has never quite worked, its long and not precisely placed, so when your working in it you feel a little scattered. Just putting the dishwasher in has helped a lot, as we had to move a cupboard and the new placement has closed in the space very well. But Fisherman has decided to paint it too, and we are probably going to replace the handles on the drawers and cupboards too.

Looking forward to things looking fresh and new.

As you may have guessed we are looking to live in this house for quite some time into the future.

Which brings me to the kids rooms. First of all, the twins had the smaller room, and Rockchick had the larger. Very very soon our little girls are going to move from cots into single beds and there is absolutely no way that we will comfortably get two single beds into their room. There was no choice but to swap them over.

First things first. I had to ask Rockchick if that was ok. Now that might sound a little risky but if you know this kid, it is not, she is the most generous little thing you ever met, the conversation went something like this:

Mum: (Rockchick)? Can I ask you about something rather important?
Rockchick: Sure mum.
Mum: You know you have a bog room, and your little sisters have a small one?
Rockchick: Yeah, ok mum, you should swap them over.

I kid you not. I went on to explain that it was only because she only had one of her and there were two of the twins and it was basically a furniture thing.

Rockchick: I know, mum, my sisters need my room more. Its ok you know.

*sob* what a little sweetheart, she breaks my heart.

I wanted to do something really nice for her in exchange, so I asked her if there was any kind of room she might like, to which she promptly replied "Hannah Montana."

Ok.... Hannah Monatana. I know NOTHING about Hannah Montana. Apart from the fact that her real name is Miley Cyrus, and her daddy sang a song many years ago that made a lot of money.

Enter internet research. On the way, I thought, yes, Rockchick may not have had a "proper" bedroom since she was 4 and we gave her a princess room for her birthday, but the twins have NEVER had a bedroom. They have had a place to sleep with a couple of cots in and a dresser.

What to do.... think think and then, I see a butterfly garden theme bedroom. Perfect.

So Rockchick is having a Hannah Montana bedroom, and BankyBoo and CheekyLala are are getting a Butterfly Garden room, for as cheap as possible. I will have to get my craft groove back on and start coming up with ideas. Its really quite fun planning. Here are a few of the ideas I have had so far:

Rockchicks Hannah Montanna room:

A Hannah Montana Bedspread, pillow and throw rug.
A new dresser with a mirror.
A hanging window suncatcher made out of old cd's with pictures on the back.
A disco ball
Some canvas's with Hannah Montana Pictures on.
She will also need a new shelf.
Her name on the door, (already there) updated, letters painted and awesomed up Hannah Montana style.

The Twins Butterfly Garden room:

A new set of shelves with painted pictures or decals on of flowers and butterflys.
A set of four painted and decorated canvas's
A floor mat.
A new dresser with decals of butterflys on.
A large "flock" of paper butterflys climbing the wall (somewhere)
A cardboard mural with a "picket" fence, a garden, and (what else) butterflys.
Lamps
And (reusing something we already had) a set of fairy lights that are flowers.

Think I can manage this on a serious budget??? I do. Watch this space.

OH and the beginning here:

The existing fairy lights, in place and gorgeous.

Rockchicks new Hannah Montanna Bed :-)


xx The Ramblings of Another Mother.

1 comment: