Tuesday 3 May 2011

Talking and walking.

So the twins are now two years old, and Kaisey is still not walking, she has taken steps, and she is taking more and more every time. She is however getting really heavy to carry around. I am getting more and more certain that she actually can walk and does behind our backs, but she enjoys being carried around so much she wont.

I am sincerely hoping she gets over that soon. So at the moment we are avoiding picking her up as much as possible and telling her she CAN walk so she SHOULD walk.

I think there is a level of stage fright involved though, as Annabelle is such a confident walker and runner. As soon as I get on the floor and hold my arms out, and I can see Kaisey thinking about it, Annabelle runs over, getting in her way and immediately I see the thought leave Kaiseys eyes. Frustrating.

I think this is also in part why Kaisey lashes out physically, she cannot articulate how she feels, and she can't catch up to the offender either. So she lashes out at the nearest thing. Which might be another child, or a toy, or the floor.

The other thing I have noticed is that she is the quieter of our twins. Sometimes I wonder if its linked, kind of like, there is a natural order to development and the child can't fully start developing the next thing before they have managed the last. It would be interesting to put such a hypothesis to the test. Although it's probably already been observed somewhere once before by someone else.

Of course, she could just naturally be quieter. Annabelle is definitely the chatterbox, she is also a little parrot. Half the time its impossible to hear anything in the babble, and the other half of the time you can almost hear words in her babble. And interpret them, weather thats what she intends to say or not. Kaisey is slower to use her words and doesn't really babble in the same way, but when she says something you can figure out what she means by it.

Now I am a big fan of the belief that every child develops at their own pace, and every child develops at exactly the right time for them, however, if Kaisey does not start walking soon I am going to go a little mad. My patience is wearing thin, she is getting WAY too heavy to carry for any length of time. So I am getting rather mean about not picking her up as often, and I really hope that the less I pander to it, the more she thinks about walking.

And then DOES IT!

xx The Ramblings of Another Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment