Tuesday 18 October 2011

Crayon Disasters.

Bring on holidays!! Been having fun doing some of the stuff I planned. In my usual over-ambitious way I have planned more than I can possibly fit into two weeks, especially when I continued to work for one of them.

Previously I have soldiered on through the holidays but this time I thought to my self "why did I start this job?" Sure my main reason was that it was available, but I could have gone out and gotten any old job like any other person, but I took this opportunity because I could work it around my family.

But have I? No, not really. Apart from the many (many) medical appointments I have not really "worked around my kids" no more often my kids have fitted around my work.

And for the most part thats how it should be, I am in this to run a business, to make money and improve my family's financial situation. To do that I must put in the hours.

But at the same time we were coming up to these holidays and I thought, you know what? No one is going to die if I take the second week off. So I have, and am spending some quality time with my babies.

I am also taking the opportunity to dedicate a day to myself. Mental health and well being and all that jazz.

In the words of one of my favourite authors: Terry Goodkind If you are at all interested in the fantasy genre and have not read him, then do:   Life is for living, so rise up and live it.

Yesterday me and the kids spent the morning browsing round the local shops and while that may not have been everyone's favourite way to spend time with their kids it was fun to just wander with them, be involved in what they are interested in and get some ideas for xmas. Looming up fast the fat man in a red suit and all his dollar requirements.

Then home and lunch and twins down for a nap. And I thought time to see what I can do, so I sorted out the crayons, long ones short ones, stubbs. This was all in the thought of "I will make these" :



AND another thing to cross off my list of 101 things.

Mine did NOT work the same as these ones.... I am not entirely sure why... I have several theories including "baked too long" "baked too hot" "different brands" but really... they just didnt really work.

At thought at first I might have accidentally put one of the oil pastels in too, as there seemed to kind of pool at the top with some weird liquid that was just brown... and very intelligently I poured it down the sink.

Wasn't I clever? I mean, what an INTELLIGENT thing to do??!!

So I come back to the sink to find a pool of solidified wax there... Oh sh** I thought. I chipped it away, and then realised that the sink was bloody blocked. 

I blocked the sink with crayons. I BLOCKED THE FRICKEN SINK??? 

Try explaining that one to the landlords think I... "Hi there, well my brain fell out on the way to the hospital to have twins and it never did get fully recovered... I think a truck may have run over it and damaged vital parts of reason and common sense...."

TRY explaining that one to my husband (by the way, he still doesn't know this story.... I am not hiding it or anything.... no no no I am uhhhm well.... rather mortified at myself!).

Ok so think think... what to do... Boil kettle, and pour boiling water down the sink.... wait. wait. A few small ribbons of wax appeared and I scalded my hand pulling them out as quickly as possible, melted wax mind you, that kind of attached itself to my hand like a leech and discolour it....

MORE hot water.... the sink is rapidly filling with hot water and I am squeezing major amounts of dish liquid in as well for good measure.

More ribbons of wax... 

And suddenly WHOOSH the whole thing empties. Well thank eff for that.... One more kettle of hot water down the sink and a copious squeeze of dish liquid for good measure.. and then I remember that the crayons are still in the oven.

Pull em out. Very brown and rather odd looking things but after they re-hardened and I popped them out I saw that the bottoms looked like this.



Not too bad for a first effort. I intend to have a few more goes, perhaps melting the colours separately and then pouring them into the moulds... no not the sink. The moulds.

And yes, I can be incredibly ditzy at times....

xx The Ramblings of Another Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment